Monday, February 27, 2012

T1 to T2: What to Drink?

When it comes to bikes, I rarely suffer from indecision.  I have strong opinions on brands, models, and even accessories.  However, one final piece of my tri bike remains unresolved:  The hydration system.  (Nutrition will likely be the subject of another blog post.)

For shorter triathlons, hydration and nutrition during the bike portion are simple, but the longer distances require more thought. 

Olympic distance (Bike 25 miles, about 1hr 15min):  I usually take a gel right when I get to Transition 1, then drink through a 750ml bottle of gatorade during the 25 mile ride, then take another gel as soon as I'm done.
 
Half-Iron (Bike 56 miles, about 3 hours):  I tape 5-6 gels to the bike frame and drink 3 gatorade bottles over 56 miles. I usually pick up one of the three bottles at the 2/3 mark.

Ironman (Bike 112 miles, about 6-6.5 hours):  This race is another animal.  The common wisdom is, "When you feel good, eat."  While you might think that the bike portion would be an easy-cheesy roll through the countryside, it's actually quite stressful.   It's hard to chew food and gulp down lots of liquid when you're already dehydrated and dizzy from the 1-hour plus swim (particularly a salt-water swim).  But if you can't get enough calories during the bike, you're toast.  Some riders set their watches to beep every 15 minutes to remind them to eat and/or drink.  In 2006, I can remember feeling totally stressed out when my stomach shut down during the bike portion.  I could feel a bonk coming on, and there was little I could do about it.

So hydration is rather important.  Sure, I could simply use two water bottle cages like I do on the road bike.  But why go to all the trouble of riding a triathlon bike, and tucking into a tight aerodynamic position, while also adding two huge water-bottle-shaped parachutes to the bike?  Why not go aerodynamic?

What makes the decision difficult is the fact that there are so many options for hydration.  Several elements must be weighed in the balance:

1. Cost
2. Proximity (water closer to your face tends to get your attention)
3. Aerodynamics (5-10% drag makes a difference over 6 hours)
4. Refilling/swapping bottles (Believe it or not, it's hard to refill bottles in the aero position when you are traveling 25 miles per hour.  Not enough hands.)

I came across this excellent article, which only further complicates the decision by giving even more information.  Free Speed: Cervélo’s Tips on Aerodynamic Hydration  So here are the pros/cons of each system:

Behind the seat: Cost low, aerodynamics okay, easy to swap bottles, BUT less likely to drink.  I'm familiar with this option.  Other negatives: you have to remember to swing your leg high over the back of the saddle or you knock the bottles out of the cages.  Gatorade also tends to leak into your rear cassette assembly, causing the freewheel to get "sticky" and I find myself replacing bearings far too often.



AeroDrink:  Cost low, easy to drink, BUT less aerodynamic, no swapping (must refill through a funky sponge thing).  There is also now a two-chamber system so that you can fill half with gatorade and half with water.  Risks include poking your eye out Red Ranger-style.



Torpedo-style: Uber-aerodynamic, cost low, easy to drink, BUT limited to one 500ml bottle with my current aerobar setup (because I have short T-rex arms).   This would have to be supplemented with something else.  Note: The person who took this photo obviously never uses his aero bars, because the water bottle is in the friggin' way!



Aerodynamic bottles in typical cages: Aerodynamic, easy to drink, BUT cost is higher and the refill would be more complicated than with the aerodrink (no swapping bottles).



Standard:  Very cheap, easy to drink, easy to swap, BUT less aerodynamic and less convenient in the aero position. Note the stack of gels just behind my right hand (this was a Half-IM).  My tri bike also only has one set of bolts for a water bottle, so I would have to either add a torpedo or another supplemental holder elsewhere on the bike.


So whither do I take my hydration needs?  If anyone reading this blog has any experience with these systems, I would appreciate your opinion mightily.

2 comments:

  1. So many choices. Maybe you should pick by color?

    ReplyDelete
  2. On second thought...go with the straw one. You're probably gauranteed to drink more than all the other options. I would much rather you loose a minute or two refilling that...than watch you bonk because you didn't drink enough.

    ReplyDelete