Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Transition Area Number One

This is how far out of hand my obsession has become.  No, this is not an episode of "Hoarders."  This is my car parked at the office this morning.  The Ghetto Prius is literally my transition area much of the time.  Note that my tri bike is disassembled in the back seat for a lunchtime ride.  I would put the bike on the nice bike rack on our Escape, but that vehicle was overrun with carseats 4.5 years ago.  So two old towels stretched across the back seat will have to do.  Note also the virtual "drying rack" I've created to hang the paraphernalia from this morning's swim.  Towel between the front seats, goggles, cap, and shorts hung on the rear view mirror.  I've cracked all 4 windows in hopes that the interior of the car won't smell like swimming pool tonight.  Let's be honest -- It won't help.



I've learned a few things as a middle-aged weekend warrior.  For example, trying to squeeze in weekday workouts, especially multiple workouts in a day, requires lots of gear.  Every time I leave the house in the morning, I feel like an old swayback pack animal lugging more bags than I should.  Today I have a bag of bike clothes & gear, another bag of swimming gear & toiletries, my briefcase for work, two cases of muscle milk, gatorade, recovery drink, and a Diet Coke for good measure.  I will likely change in the car at lunch today for my ride, then change back again to go back to work. 

You're probably wondering, "Don't all the other attorneys at that fancy DC law firm mock him for his ratty car?"  Yes.  Mercilessly.  Like most garages in DC, our building's garage has a number of very fine cars that are driven by very fine people.  It is not a stretch to say that my car is in the bottom 1% of that "very fine" population.  So why not go all the way and hang a wet towel between the seats? 

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure glad that fancy bike of yours didn't get stolen from your car with cracked windows. Because, without that pretty bike of yours that bike fitting will be a waste of money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. after reading the post, I'm glad to see that you're one of the one-percenters...

    ReplyDelete