Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Hi, I am a triathlete. Did I mention I am a triathlete?


Every day I see at least one person on the trail wearing this ridiculous combination of clothing.  And it is extremely common on race days.  Sleeveless jersey with arm warmers.  You've probably seen olympic marathon runners or professional triathletes dressed like this on TV.  And of course, weekend warriors have a habit of mimicking whatever the pros do. 

I have mocked the look mercilessly for many years.  But this morning, because it was not quite warm enough for a sleeveless jersey, and because I had a T2 workout (bike, then run), I decided to find out what the fuss was all about.  Besides, it was dark, and nobody would see me anyway.  These are my observations:

1.  I felt totally ridiculous.  I looked like Grobee from Yo Gabba Gabba with those gangly arms that grow out of his sides.  You know, "The little green one."



2.  When I hit a downhill, my body couldn't decide if it was warm or hot.  I'm cold. No I'm not.  Yes I am.  No I'm not. Just my shoulders.

3.  There were some positives, including the ability to pull off the warmers while riding.  (I can't do that with a long-sleeve shirt.)

The verdict:  I'm still going to make fun of everyone dressed like this.  I don't care if you're a professional.  Or Grobee.


No comments:

Post a Comment