Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Book Review: The Triathlete Training Bible

I got tired of scanning Triathlete Magazine and the Internet for free training advice, so I went right to the real deal: The Triathlete's Training Bible by Joe Friel.  It's sort of like the real Bible, without the boring sections of the Old Testament.  And nobody is smitten or slain.  And it's all about triathlons.  It's actually nothing like the real Bible, except that the "B" is still capitalized.

After spending a few hours with this book, I've learned a few self-evident truths:
1. I don't train nearly enough hours.  Like not even in the ballpark.
2. I shouldn't have a job or a family.
3. I'm not worthy to call myself "triathlete" or even "multisport-capable."
4. I've spent something around $10,000 less than I should on triathlon stuff.

Still, the book has solid guidance for someone who is trying to take his sport more seriously.  My main takeaway is that every workout should have a purpose.  In years past, I have simply run a few miles or biked a few miles here & there, keeping track of total mileage.  Now I focus on the level of effort, the intensity and speed, and the contribution of each workout to the end goals.  The book has walked me through a carefully-designed plan that should help me maximize time & minimize injury.  I'll let you know how it works out.  For anyone who has tried a few multisport events, I still recommend it as a good launching point for more purposeful training.  Now about the $10,000 ...

No comments:

Post a Comment