Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Third Quarter Results

Two thoughts at the 3/4 mark in Ironman training. 

1.  I can't believe I'm 3/4 of the way there. 

2.  I can't believe I still have to do this for three more months.

In reality, I enjoy the workouts about 90% of the time.  The other 10% include rainy days, swims, and any sort of interval training.  So here are the numbers for 9 months of training.

Swim:  94.80 miles, 61.21 hours. 
Bike:  2,398.35 miles, 143.81 hours. 
Run: 487.12 miles, 67.20 hours.
Weights:  39.22 hours.
Total Time:  311.43 hours.

I've been trying to follow The Bible's plan for intermediate peaks & troughs, subject to the demands of work, family, and church.  Note that the two deepest troughs are family vacations in December and June.  I look at this chart and wonder why I can't just meet the weekly workout goals.  But it's VERY hard to log 12 or 15 hours of training in one week.  That's like having a second job.  Only it doesn't pay anything and it makes me vomit sometimes.

If you're into charts, here are the monthly totals for the three disciplines:
 Yes, I slack off on swimming the month after a race.  I'm only human.

If it weren't for my bike commute to work, I don't know how I'd ever get in the bike miles.


Running is the easiest of the disciplines to maintain, even during work travel, because you only have to bring along your running shoes.  (No need to locate a pool or rent a bike.)  The downside is that I've run in some awful places (like Dallas), but I've managed to get the mileage in. 

Three more months to train for Ironman Florida.  I've been extremely lucky to avoid any major injuries thus far.  My race times have improved significantly, and I feel much more confident that I can make the full distances without flopping.  Time for the final peak ...

1 comment:

  1. No flopping...that includes the marathon at the end too, right?

    Kidding aside. I'm proud of your accomplishments. It's amazing how much you cram into a 24 hour period. Sorry for contributing to your loss of sleep here and there. I like chatting with you before I go to sleep.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete