Monday, March 19, 2012

About "Overuse Injuries"

There are 26 bones in each foot.  A problem with just one of them can kill your running (and potentially biking) for an extended period.  One or two of the bones in my left foot have been a little buggy for a week now, and it's caused me enough concern to sit out running for a week.  (Luckily, swimming and biking do not seem to be affected, so I'll hit both disciplines hard this week.)

Throughout the season, I pick up a variety of aches and pains.  I have an informal classification system for what constitutes an injury:
  • Anything that lasts less than a week doesn't rise to the level of "injury." 
  • Anything muscle-related, no matter how serious, isn't an "injury."
  • Anything that is not used to run, bike, or swim, can't be "injured."  (e.g. Once I nearly cut off my pinky, so I taped it up and wore a rubber glove when I swam for the next few weeks.)
  • Anything that still bothers you after a week requires some dialing-back or a shift in routines.
  • Anything that bothers you after two weeks requires a call to the doctor.
  • Okay, fine.  Anything that bothers you after a month is finally an "injury."
One of my biggest pet peeves (and the reason why I almost never take an "injury" to a doctor) is the overused term "overuse injury."  I've had the same conversation with a lot of different doctors.  The conversation ALWAYS goes something like this:

"Doctor, my knee has been bothering me a little lately.  It hurts here, here, and here."
"Have you been running a bunch of miles?"
"Yes. I'm training for an Ironman."
[Dr. sits back in chair] "Well, this looks like an overuse injury.  You should take 6 weeks off, then try to ease back into it."
"Wow, thanks for the in-depth analysis!  What was I thinking when I got off the couch to run?  I should just give up all athletic events to avoid 'overusing' any part of my body.  Oops!  I just 'overused' my mouth and brain trying to point out the irony of your diagnosis!"

Aside from teaching me the fine nuances of sports medicine, my injuries have taught me a good deal of patience over the years.  A full-blown injury that requires no activity kills more than your training schedule -- it kills your morale.  Some of my lowest lows are the result of an injury that I let go too long.  There is nothing worse than being completely prepared physically and aerobically for a race, but having to sit it out because of a small but serious injury.

After pushing myself through painful running, biking, and even swimming workouts over the years, I've learned that it's best not to tempt fate with injuries.  One of the benefits of triathlon is that few injuries keep you from doing all three displines.  So I'll hit the bike path and double up on the swimming, and we'll see what next week brings.

1 comment:

  1. So, now that it's been two weeks. Are you going to the doctor?

    ReplyDelete